Thursday, January 24, 2013

Vintage Teacup Candles

It's been awhile... oops! I'm going to work on posting more, but for now I thought I would go over how to make teacup candles! They're one of my favorite, most easiest crafts to make and they make amazing gifts and decorations for your home.

First, I started with vintage teacups. These are NOT easy to find in Flagstaff, mind you, so I had to venture down to Phoenix to find them. I found a few at Sweet Salvage, which I have blogged about here. They ranged in price from $1-$6 each!

First off, you need proper supplies. I got all of mine from Michaels, but there are also plenty of other crafty stores that sell candle making supplies. I bought:
- A block of wax (not pictured, because unfortunately I used all of my supplies)
- A few scent blocks (a pack of 4)
- A pack of wicks


And then I got an aluminum can from work. Yay recyling!

So here's how you do it:
1. Fill a pot about halfway with water and bring to a boil.
2. Put the block of wax in the tin can and then gently place in the boiling water. You may have to turn the heat down, but don't turn it down so much that it doesn't melt the wax!*
3. While the wax is melting, prepare your teacups (or any other container) by placing them on a sheet of aluminum foil. You don't want to be cleaning up wax off of your kitchen counters!
4. When the wax has finally melted, put one of the scent blocks in there to melt with it. Use a disposable coffee stirrer to stir it once it's melted.
5. Pour the wax (carefully) into the teacups. Make sure you leave some room at the top!
6. After a few minutes, put the wicks in the center of the teacups.
7. Wait for the wax to dry. I would definitely wait overnight just in case! You can let the remainder of your unpoured wax dry in the meantime - the beauty of wax is that you can remelt it whenever you want!
7. In the morning, you will probably see a little crater around where the wick is in the candle. This is completely normal! Repeat steps 1-5, filling in the gap. Then wait for your candles to dry again, and you will have your beautiful creation!

Here's mine, all finished :)

Have fun! This is one of my favorite crafts to do.


*This is EXTREMELY important! Always use a double-boiler to melt your wax. ALWAYS!!


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment